First of all in placing this page in a public place for all to see, I must state that it is the opinion of Ron that the failure of my IVO Prop was entirely my fault. Since the airborne failure of any prop is significant, I felt that others should know of this failure just in case Ron is not entirely correct. I have no idea who Ron is, but he answered the E-mail that I sent to the address listed on the IVO Prop web site.


Ron stated that This damage was caused because the blades were moving in the hub and it was not detected by the motion detector tape. He went on to say that I used a tape of the wrong size and material, and that this prevented me from detecting the movement of the blades prior to failure.



Now that I have confessed my lack of diligence I must state that after revisiting the page assembly instructions and the nearly 2 page Warning, I can see that the problem is not as simple as having the correct size tape to detect blade movement.



1.     The fact that the warning is so extensive, indicates that there are known problems with the Prop.

2.     One of the Warning bullet points states FOLLOW THIS INSPECTION SCHEDULE TO CHECK IF THE TAPE IS BROKEN: AFTER SHORT GOUND RUN UP THROUGH FULL R.P.M. RANGE AND THE FIRST 10 MINUTES, 15 MINUTES, 30 MINUTES, 1 HOUR, 2 HOURS, 4 HOURS AND THEN EVERY PREFLIGHT INSPECTION. Is that to say that every time I fly I must pull the spinner and look to see if the blades have been moving? Wow!!

3.     All shiny and black with the stainless steel leading edges, looked beautiful, but the Quality and workmanship on the prop that I received is questionable. The Stainless Steel leading edge tape split and required changing after about 10 hours. When I removed the tape, I could see a mark in the gel coating that could have been made by a knife or razor. The cut was as if that type of tool might have been used to cut the tape in a straight line. During the operation that first 10 hours, I must have hit a small stone or something, because when the tape was removed, a chunk of the gel coating came off with the tape. On examination of the prop after delamination, along the crack, chunks of the gel coating separated from the cloth structure of prop.

4.     Although the IVOPROP MEDIUM MODEL and hub assembly were sold for installation on my VW and not an adaptation that I conjured up, I now question the appropriateness of the application. The main motivation for the use of the Ivoprop was the pitch adjustment feature. As most VW people know, the engine reaches peek HP at around 3500 RPM. My original engine was 1910 CC and I could not get the prop to turn fast enough to reach that RPM and in fact I was unable to move the prop off of the low pitch stop.

My experiences with the IVOPROP may be the exception rather then the rule, but at the 2004 KR Gathering, I heard of other failures and received comments like Wood works